Edith Holden ( 1871- 1920) , an Edwardian Lady, got famous after publishing this adorable book:
The country diary of an edwardian lady.
A school teacher and art teacher.
A remarkeble woman who died much to young in a sad drownign accident in the backwaters of the River Thames in March 1920
On one of our long walks, saturday 27/6, in London , we came across a secondhand book place.
Lots of tables outside on the sidewalk filled with old books.
we looked breafly through the boxes and suddenly I held this book in my hand...
oh... I imidiatly saw the "value" of this find and clung on to it while looking at old maps and such.
The time was close to 4 pm and an older gentleman was working his way towards us by tidying the boxes.. we put what we looked at back in place. It was clearly that he was closing the store and by being extremly rude he tried to get rid of us.
I was flabbergasted over his unfriendly and frankly - bitchy - way of letting us know that if we didn´t buy anything we should walk away.
We were stunned--- I said I would like to buy this book PLEASE...... and could he tell me how much it costed? - See I get over- polite when grown-up people can´t behave.
I was told that the price ALWAYS was listet on the first page in the book! I found the page and handed him 1 £ with a thank you for showing me just how rude english people can get!!!
I know that some peoples behaviour is not the curent for the rest of the pupulation- but still.
I got my book- and I feel lucky I found it. It is a treasure.
She even have a rose named after her, in a deep orange colour.
Enjoy the sites and have a great sunday.
2 comments:
Du fikk nå den herlige boken din. Han skulle vel kanskje ha øl`n sin den gamle grinebiteren. ;-)
Hello Beate! It was nice to read your comment on my blog. I am so glad that you 'found' Edith Holden. She was an amazing lady. I discovered her book many years ago when I was a girl and have loved and admired her ever since. The price you paid was a great deal. I am sorry however that the bookshop owner was such a rude man. Now you have the book and can enjoy Edith's work over and over.
Please come visit me at my new blog homes. I had to start new blogs as my old ones were full. Click on my profile and stop by if you get a chance...
Hugs ~
Heidi
Post a Comment