And what a difference there is from Norways proud celebration.
Here in this country hardly nothing happens and I am not sure why.
I think that this day, june 5 , is a day inbetween important days of happenings for danes. June 5 is the day for the constitution/ danish law.
June 15 is the national day , when a flag fell from the sky during a fight between Denmark and Estland in 1219, also called Valdemars day.
There was a reunion with the southern part of Denmark as well so I guess it´s a mitch match of days.
It´s only been a national holiday for a few years, earlier ½ day off work.
In my neighbourhood I can´t see 1 flag raised!!
As a foreigner living in this country for 18 years now I never met any people at all ,doing anything special to celebrate this day.
What do you people do? Do you have any traditions at all? Or is this day just yet another day off work in May?
My oldest slept at a friends house, second son had a sleep over, daughter came home late from the stables ( horses, stable, horse droppings, hay and so on) 10.30 pm.
THe youngest watched Asterix curled up in the coach eating popcorn. Me: I knitted.
So this morning was needed. It has been busy at work ( with a fieldtrip that took 3 days- I will write about that next) , I was offered two teacher jobs this week as well, that I needed to think through since I´m not educated as a teacher in any way-
The job is supported by co- teachers.And being subbing at the school since 2002, I have alot of experience no newly educated teacher have. Experience being in front of kids, handling kids of all kind, handling parents ( which is a hugh part), and so on.
The job is for a 3 grade in danish and in the special unit for "my" 6 boys at 14, also danish.After thinking and talks with "the one in charge" I said ok.
So I am busy ordering books, talking to out going teacher about the kids, weak points/strong points, planning the year roughly.
while blogging I had my coffee, ( a damn good Kent Coffee) and had a look at my pathio - my flowers need care.
And after showering I saw that a dust and clean hour was needed there too.
Happy May 5 to all you danes out there.
3 comments:
I love the geranium in the last photo, beautiful soft pink. In Holland we have lots of celebrations in April/May: 30 April is Queen's birthday, 4th May is Remembrance Day, 5 May is Liberation Day. Then there is Ascension Day which is always on a Thursday and an official holiday, so most people tag on the Friday and have a long weekend, and there is Whitsunday too (plus the Monday after). That was last weekend and I think it's over now until December!
In the UK we just have a lot of Bank Holidays in May, but we've got another one at the end of August - I like those long weekends...
Good luck with the new job!
Congratulations on the Job! Is there school year over? I enjoyed the movie trailer. I think I will like this movie. thanks♥
Hej Beate!
Hvor har du ret. Vi gør ingenting. Jeg ved ikke, hvorfor det er sådan, men jeg har aldrig oplevet, at der har været noget specielt på nogen af disse - egentlig specielle og mindeværdige - dage, og jeg har da kun levet i eet land!!
Det lyder spændende med jobbet på skolen. Jeg er meget glad på dine vegne - bare det var mig. Jeg savner stadig stemningen på skolen, men jeg kan jo glæde mig over, at jeg har mindet med mig altid.
Check min hjemmeside - www.charlottelintrup.dk - jeg har også mailet dig. Måske kan du bruge mig til noget (fjern-support?!).
Glæder mig til at høre mere om dine skoleerfaringer. God tur til London.
Knus Charlotte
Post a Comment