04 October, 2013

A Postcard from.....

 It´s been a while again. We are in the middle of the fall break and I want to share with you my trip to Tromsø. As you can see the mountains are high, the weather splendid and air crisp. The view is stunning. 
This shots are from Kvaløya , an island just next to Tromsø. Tromsø itself is also on an island. We followed the road for as long as we could and found Tromvik- a small comunity in the bottom of a bay and underneath a mountain.

 And this view is stright out to the North Sea


 One can tell the weather´s been good. Here´s bluebells still blooming.
 We was up here to visit one of the boys who moved to Tromsø to study. Here dad is watching  his son do some fishing.
 And this cracked me up! See the name of the fishingboat? Øygirl. Øy = island & girl is girl- a mix of Norwegian and English. Someone has a sense of humour out here.


Tromvik is a place where the people who live there want´s to take care of it . It was clean up and alot of iron was waiting to be picked up. This is sadly a well cept secret. People used to just bury iron crap in the fealds or dump it in the ocean . Here they cleaned up and it made me happy to see that. I guess our great, great grandfathers didn´t know better.

 In a another fjord we came across a small sign saing a cafe was open between 11 and 16. sooo we stopped. The need for coffein was strong and there was a promise of freshly baked rolls. This cute little place is called Budeia. She sold all kinds of local stuff- clothing etc and places to sit outside and inside. Just a very nice experience  at the end of the day.
 Hurtigruten "Trollfjord" was at dock in the city of Tromsø. The town is a typical nothern part of Norway city. Old and new in a mix. Recogniceable in it´s design and predictable streetvice. Streets like Storgata( big street or mainstreet)  which is a closed for trafic and holds most of the stores. And Strandgata ( beach street) , havnegata ( harbour street) etc.
 The cathedral "Ishavskatedralen" is a great church. The location is perfect with the view straight north and outlooking the ocean. Must be visiable from very far out on the sea. Not big though- on the size of the operahouse in Sidney I was told. If it´s true I don´t know- I have not been to Australia.....yet ;)

 This cute bike is owned by the local yarnstore in Tromsø. "Heklekroken" is the name of it ( Crochethook)
The store is in Storgata 91 and had alot of yarn. So much it made a bit overwhelmed ( who would believe that ?) Anyway the bike is a darling. Look at the seat and and rack. How clever and how much fun they must have had making this. 

What else have I done this break you ask? Well not much else. My dearest is on a business travel to Trondheim and I´ve been studying. My plan is to get the second paper sendt in to my  teacher. I just got the first paper approved. I need to send in 5 of them and to get them all approved before exams in January.
It is fun to study again and helps alot on my confidence. It´s been abit low this last years and I need to turn that around. 
Enjoy your friday . Hugs


2 comments:

Cybèle said...

O that tractor! be still my beating heart ;-) Lovely photos Beate, specially the ones of the island. You live in a beautiful country.

Torhild Reidardatter said...

Thanks Cybèle. And so do you. I`m dreaming of a holiday in England.