17 November, 2009

The Big one

Good morning everyone.
It has been one of those slow and silent mornings. The youngest is sick. The disreputable Flue A H1N1. Started with a headace sunday evening. During the night his fever jumped high and he vomited ( only once t g). Monday morning I put him on the livingroom- coach in front of the telly. Bigger brother was sick too- so the two of them enjoyed eachothers company while I went to work .
I had only 3 periods to teach and was home again by 11.30 am. So that is how we sawed yesterday from avoiding not going to work.
The older brother is sick too but getting better ( just a little snotty and a bit headace left) , but my little one is still on the coach with fever jumping up and down. Tummy is fine, but headace and coughing.
This morning I could not avoid it any longer. I had to call work.
So the dreadfull phone call to work is done ( dreadfull because I feel so guilty about not going to work. How come it is this way? Always had it like this. I know the school will function well with out me- and I hardly ever call in sick , but still I feel guilty! I guess I have one or two of those "nice/nursing-girl-genes" that forces me to be busy and dutyfull to my surroundings.
Anyway, child`s first sick-day and I am keeping up my nursing experiences with any call from my dear son. Viktor is 10 y.old and pretty much copes for him self and right now he is drinking Coca Cola-( his father dropped by yesterday after work to give him some small gifts and hugs) ( I know- but it is good for a troubled tummy and I always had this believe of giving sick kids what they want- and coce is the only thing he wants right now)
and wathcing a program on travel ch. showing trainrides in Australia. He loves it. Reminds me of when I was young ,sick and home from school wathcing tv ( in the good old days) during the day: programs like : how do things work and elderly tv-gymnasticks and learn a language - for adults.


These slow starting mornings gave me the time to talk to my DD about future shcool choises. Many thoughts of alot of stuff in different directions. It is hard work to be almost 15.
In the beginning of life with all those choises.
She is doing STX - the short for High school here in dk.
We`ll talk more later, she needs it.
Apart from all that I am enjoying my morning coffee, some stiches on the needles and all the great blogs around. Doing laungdry and planning some dinner for tonight.
Thinking of my life. How great and exciting it is and of the parts I dont like so much.
Not "a day in the sunshine "everday to be a single mom to 4 ( and 3 of them are teenagers!!!)
Thinking of the oldest who visits Toscany / Italy this week with his class and gets to visit food markets , good restaurants and so on. Lucky him.
They grow up so fast- gets firm ideas of life and how to live it. They don´t need the mom and dad that much anymore. We`re there in the background as a secure and loving part they can turn to for help and advice - or for a moments rest.
Aaaahh enough of the blue mood. Good part is that we now can say we all had The Flue and survived.
Enjoy your day.

5 comments:

Charlotte Lygaard Lintrup said...

Hej Beate.
Jeg kender det godt - det med at være helt dårlig over at melde sig syg eller barn syg. Sådan har jeg også altid haft det. Noget af en pestilens faktisk.
Heldigvis er vi alle gået ram forbi influenzaen, men de vælter rundt om ørene på os, så hvem ved, om vi også lige pludselig bliver ramt. Anne er dog vaccineret!
Jeg håber, I alle kommer igennem det snart - God bedring. Og tak for din lykønskning.
Knus Charlotte

Unknown said...

Hei Beate
Bare vær hjemme i fred og ro. Jeg er av dem som også alltid går på arbeid uansett, bare sminker meg litt ekstra..... Denne gangen har det rammet meg hardt, jeg har vært mer eller mindre syk i tre uker. Nå har jeg heldigvis fått sykemld ut uken. Steven har også vært syk, men siden jeg holdt han i ro ble han frisk. Jeg fløy jo på jobb igjen. Det nytter ikke å holde på slik. Har vi barn som er syke og trenger oss skal vi være hjemme med dem. Er vi syke skal vi være hjemme. Dermed basta. Det er min lære fra nå av. God bedring til dere og bare slapp av. :-)

Torhild said...

Ja. tak vi har holdt os hjemme og nu er vi vist friske igen-- skønt for så har vi fået den influenza på plads... ikke så farlig enda?

cici said...

your blog gets more beautiful everytime I visit here.♥ Hope all is well soon

Torhild Reidardatter said...

Thank you Cici... all is fine- just the november blues- but today was beatiful sunshine and suddenly I have tons of energy again.